ANST - Court of Public Opinion

Valentyn valentyn at gte.net
Tue May 26 09:44:01 PDT 1998

Considering that the situation Kevon Houghton is referring to
is *under investigation* and no evidence other than an accusation
is evident, how does anyone in the SCA justify broadcasting a
"warning" to the Knowne World?

I'm also curious how the warders themselves are going to shoulder
the reponsibility of the stigma accompanying the accusation.
Will you put a carefully worded disclaimer in your warning?
"Let it be known that so-and-so has been rumored to have
abused a child.  Please don't go overboard or think badly
of this person, because at this point it's just gossip, but
keep your children away from him.  If it turns out that the
rumors are false, please forget all about this and act
normal."

Anyone can jump online to give warnings and accusations, but
even the most popular king or queen will find it impossible to
negate the consequences if their warning turns out to be false.
I hope everyone who's so supportive of warning the public is
equally supportive of searching for the facts before blithely
risking another's reputation.

Valentyn Drake
Cadet to Don Miguel