ANST - Administrata...

HL Larkin O'Kane larkin at webstar.net
Tue May 26 10:33:06 PDT 1998

On Tue, 26 May 1998 09:34:17 -0500 (CDT), "Pug Bainter"
<pug at pug.net> wrote:

:>  Since the concern has been raised, if there are enough people who are
:>  truly concerned that I can no longer be a reasonable and unbiased list
:>  maintainer, please find someone who can and we will transition the list
:>  to them as soon as possible. I try to make sure that my personal
:>  opinion and friendships do not come into my decisions on this list.
:>  This is a difficult thing to do and I may not be successful. I have
:>  been the list maintainer for ~5 years and maybe I shouldn't any longer.
:>  (The list archives only go back a little over 3 years unfortunately so I
:>  don't know exactly how long.)

And just who would we put in your place?  I wouldn't want someone
who backed down just because he was my friend.

:>  Btw Gunnora, I'd already planned on doing the warning system and not
:>  keeping the list moderated. The moderation was only a temporary
:>  measure to keep things calm over the weekend since I was unable to see
:>  what was happening while at Steppes Warlord.

Gee, I thought that was abundantly clear when you first anounced
that the list was moderated. To me it amounted to "Don't post for
the weekend. I need to set some guidelines and don't have the time."
>From the amount of traffic on the other lists, I was wondering if
they were moderated also :)  Seems like everyone was holding their
breath.

:>  I would like to thank those who have given me words of support.
:>
:>  I would like to especially thank those who have questioned what I have
:>  done and taken me to task for it. Without those individuals, I would
:>  not have alternate viewpoints from which to question my actions.

<GRIN> I've always got an alternate viewpoint. Comes from always
trying to look at both sides of an issue.  That and being just plain
stubborn.

:>  I do not take censorship, especially by myself, at all lightly.

Nothing wrong with censorship as long as it's self censorship. And
when self is not able or willing to apply the rules, then someone
else has to or self will never learn.

:>  Freedom of speech or action does not give you the freedom to do as you
:>  wish at all times.

Homer Anderson made a statement when I was in his Orchestra class in
High School [right after Moses and I named dirt] when we were
discussing freedom of speech. He said, "You have the right to double
up your fist and swing it at my nose. But your right ends where my
nose begins."  His point, of course, was that we had the first
amendment right to freedom of speech but not the right to disrupt
the class.

:>In Service to My Dream,

Carry on, my friend.

Larkin O'Kane     I will not purposly offend anyone in a public forum:
CSM, AoO          If this post offends you, please tell me privately.