ANST - Administrata...

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue May 26 12:43:11 PDT 1998

Pug wrote:
> We still live in America, where people are innocent until *proven*
> guilty.

Nitpick alert.  No substantive comments.

1) The World Is A Very Big Place ... or are all the
subscribers to the list in the US?

2) People are *presumed* innocent until proven guilty *in
civilian criminal cases* in the US.  Civil cases -- such as
OJ's civil suits or actions for libel -- have much looser
standards of proof.  I don't know about the Uniform Code of
Military Justice, but I heard that its defendent protection
is sometimes better than in US federal criminal courts.

3) If people actually *were* innocent until guilty, this
would be a nation of saints (and nobody would be convicted).

Daniel "similar nit: one cannot *falsely* cry 'Fire' in a
crowded theater.  The adverb is significant and usually
forgotten"  de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.