ANST - Honor?(was PR and Image)

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed May 27 05:28:06 PDT 1998

Michael Peters said something that sounded like:
>   To begin with pug has every right to CYA (cover your a-s) and I have
> no problem with the temporary decision to moderate the list. I DO have a
> problem with many of the postings of my "family".

Then you have a problem with me.

>   I and Sir Kief whom I do support, have been basically called rude
> ,boorish and even unchivalrous for trying to safeguard the health and
> welfare of "our family".

It is not what was done, but *how* it was done that is a problem.

I do not question Sir Kief's reasons, intent or anything. Unfortunately
as Lyonel pointed out, not everyone is Sir Kief and not everyone has
accurate nor unbiased information.

How many times do you hear an untrue rumor within your own local
group? Let's expand that to the Kingdom level where we don't know most
of the people being talked about and see how much worse it gets.

> If those who would warn are castigated
> will evil then be allowed to quietly flourish?

Warnings are appropriate if done properly.

I would now like to ask some questions that I want people to think about
and not answer here. When thinking about these, don't just think of
answers for yourself, but think of answers for the majority of your
friends as well as the rest of the local group and Kingdom. We all hope
*we* would do the right thing when it happened, but do you feel the same
way about the rumor monger, the chatter mouth, the pompous goober or the
new person who just arrived in the group last month?

We are already making people nervous and uncomfortable by telling them
that the person in the tent next to them may be a rapist, child molester,
etc. It will be a sad day when *I* am uncertain of the safety of my family
when camping with friends. Why do we have to expedite this process by
planting the seeds of distrust so *easily*?

Do we have to ruin the lives of people by screaming at the top of our
lungs that they are evil? What happens when the person is either wrongly
accused or has corrected their ways? Do you stand up and scream that
out at the top of your lungs or do you quietly congratulate them so you
don't look like a fool for the accusation? Do people remember the
outcome or the accusation? Is everyone as honorable as Sir Kief?

After all, how many Michaels are there in this Kingdom? How many
John/Johan/etc are there? For those people who don't immediately know
the person you are talking about, they will have to avoid all of these
individuals "just in case". I for one, only know one of the two people
discussed last week.

Telling individuals, instead of groups, will help alleviate this confusion
since they can ask questions and make better informed decisions.

> The sheep may bleat but the sheep dog will remain vigilant.

Grrrrr.

In Service to *my* Dream,