ANST - PR and Image

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue May 26 21:47:52 PDT 1998

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Mary Temple <noxcat at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [other opinions] have been attributed to me in error.

On closer inspection, they were not actually attributed to
you.  At the head of the text was:

>>On Thu, 21 May 1998 13:00:30 PDT "Mary Temple" <noxcat at hotmail.com>
>>writes:
>>>

>>While it is true that a new person may get a bad impression, a woman
>>would want to know if a man was potentially dangerous, at least I

The "Mary Temple" ID line and the text following it are both
indented by ">>".  Standard net practice is for the ID to be
exdented for the quote, as in

   In message <333 at millenium.falcon.com>, Leia wrote:
   >In message <666 at deathstar.com>, Darth Vader wrote:
   >> The Alderan system will be going down immediately.
   >> There is no projected uptime.
   >> All users should save their souls, er, files.
   > THEY KILLED ALDERAN!  THE BASTARDS!

In the example, Darthie wrote the ">>" text, and Leia wrote
the cheap South Park ripoff.

The person doing the quoting was being sloppy in their
trimming -- they trimmed all Mary's text except one blank
line (>>>), and had unattributed text after.  Confusing as
all hell.

Daniel "belts and braces" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;