ANST - Protocol..how to sign your formal letters (grin)

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed May 27 22:13:59 PDT 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998, nib <nib at flash.net> wrote:
> In court it would be Duke Sir Master blah, blah.

No.  As Pug correctly noted, if titles get stacked, it's at
the end.  His Grace, Duke blah blah, Knight, Companion of
the Order of the Pelican, ...  That's *really* formal; I've
only heard it in Ansteorran courts when a person is
processing up to receive a peerage.

> Common addresses for signing of your name in a formal letter is by
> initials of the awards.  You list them in order of descending order from
> the highest down to the lowest.
> Examples:
>  O.L.-order of laurel
>  O.P- order of the pelican
>  K.S.C.A-knight of society of creative anachronism
>  A.O.A- award of arms

(I don't like KSCA, personally: we don't recognize any other
knighthoods, so it's redundant.)

This is indeed rather common in the SCA, but I've never seen
period evidence -- not that I've looked much.  My only
source to hand is _The Lisle Letters_, an abridgment, from
the 1530s.  Many letters list the signatures in period
spellings (bless you, Muriel St. Clare Byrne, ed.!).

Examples, where *...* denotes italics in the book (scribal
abbrev.?).  The number is the letter number.

09 Thom*a*s gylbert Curat ther
10 Arthur Plantagenet, Viscount Lisle, Deputy of Calais,
   bastard son of Edward IV, in a letter to Henry VIII:
   Arthyr Lyssle
10 The other signatories, the rest of the Council of Calais:
   Edmund Howard
   Wyngffeld R Sir
   Edward Ryngley
   Crystofer Garneys S*ir*
14 The Chancellor of England:
   Thom*a*s Crumwell
18 The Duke of Norfolk, Earl Marshall, et cetera:
   T. Norfolk

I think I remember "abbott" later.

If anyone finds other evidence (the Paston letters, for
example), please let me know.

Daniel Bordure
--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com;