ANST - Re: Abreviations: was protocol

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Fri May 29 10:10:35 PDT 1998

> Llywelyn Elfsea
> ------ =_NextPart_000_01BD8AFE.2A5CE820

Damn but I hate Welsh.  I think it's "village on the stream
that flows by Saint Winifred's garden next to the red bank
where the sheep bathe".  Either that or it's "Gruffudd"
put into the genitive case.

Seriously: not to pick on His Excellency, but I'm seeing
these sorts of messages more and more.  The e-mail list and
Usenet standards have been ASCII since the net ran on whale
oil.  Many mail readers can't read such attachments.  It's
extra time (and sometimes cost) to download.  It's also not
usually necessary to have spiffy colors, graphics, fonts, et
cetera.  Some mailers only send out the marked-up text, and
it's hard to read with all the (font type=baptismal
size=huge)(warble)(bang) stuff (nota bene, 'wolf).

Another problem: some mail readers and mail-transfer
programs can't deal with long lines.  Even when they can,
your readers may get line breaks in the middle of words.
Less than 80 characters per line has also been a net
standard since Gunnora was a kid.

Please check out your Preferences, Options, Settings, or
whatever, to see that
- you are sending only plain text / ASCII, not HTML,
  Microsoft Word, RTF, or whatever.
- your lines get "hard returns" / wrapping every 74
  characters or so.  If you have no such option, it would be
  a kindness to go to a fixed-width font such as Courier, to
  find out how wide 74 characters is (e.g.,

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234

  ) and hit Enter / Return manually before that point on each line.

Daniel "they mutated his genitives!" de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com;
    if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com is my work account.