ANST - messaging world ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri May 29 13:57:14 PDT 1998

On 29 May 98, at 10:10, Timothy A. McDaniel wrote:

> Seriously: not to pick on His Excellency, but I'm seeing
> these sorts of messages more and more.  The e-mail list and
> Usenet standards have been ASCII since the net ran on whale
> oil.  Many mail readers can't read such attachments.  It's
> extra time (and sometimes cost) to download.  It's also not
> usually necessary to have spiffy colors, graphics, fonts, et
> cetera.  Some mailers only send out the marked-up text, and
> it's hard to read with all the (font type=baptismal
> size=huge)(warble)(bang) stuff (nota bene, 'wolf).

alternately, you could upgrade your client to software to something that dosn't
run on whale oil ... electricity (while OP) works a *lot* better.  you might also
want to consider that perhaps the person is using a new version client that they
either don't have complete understanding of yet, or one that still has some bugs
that the authors are working out (as in the one i'm using that strips formatting
80% of the time ... and the other 20%, don't worry much about it)

> Another problem: some mail readers and mail-transfer
> programs can't deal with long lines.  Even when they can,
> your readers may get line breaks in the middle of words.
> Less than 80 characters per line has also been a net
> standard since Gunnora was a kid.

most clients i'm familiar with (and have to support a wide variety) usually have a
"warp long line" option in their reader setup.  you might check your setup and
make sure that it's enabled and/or your readers right margin is set to whatever
you prefer.

as for all these "standards" they are evolving ... ASCII email is on the decline,
multi-media messaging is on the ascendency.  they barbarians are not just at
the gate anymore, they are over the wall and starting to burn everything in
sight.  my suggestion, change clothes and grab a torch ... there's way too
many waiting over the next hill to continue to fight.

'wolf
... whose client software ha s never had any problems displaying anything that
has come accross my wires

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves