ANST - messaging options ... technical centric

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri May 29 13:57:14 PDT 1998

On 29 May 98, at 12:49, Pug Bainter wrote:

> Timothy A. McDaniel said something that sounded like:
> > Seriously: not to pick on His Excellency, but I'm seeing
> > these sorts of messages more and more.
>
> The problem is the mailer he is using. I don't know if it can be resolved
> 100% or not.
>
> Welcome to Microsoft Outlook.

or Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape, Pegasus, Eudora, ....

> It will make your life hell and you'll never know what else to do.
>
> It's worse when in its native environment and connected to a Microsoft
> Exchange server.

actually i rather like it (have it on another machine on my msoft network).  took
some getting used to (a bit of learning curve) but really like the way that it
integrates into my desktop (office97/98 on wstation, backoffice/exchange on
the house server).  use the scheduling and fax support heavily.  highly
recommned it as a solid email client (network or standalone) that will become a
widely supported standard ... also until june something, Office98 is free from
the msoft site for download (and shipping for the install CD). if you need a new
client package, grab it ....

> Microsoft knows what is best for you.

but their stuff usually does work well together ... and if you know it, it's easy to
find well paying employment (visions of $$$$'s once the MCSE+Internet
certifications are finished)

> Bill is the one true god.

only if he's a cat ....

> > Less than 80 characters per line has also been a net
> > standard since Gunnora was a kid.

> Btw, 'wolf is sending his out as RTF from Pegasus Mail.

'wolf is *supposed* to be sending out messages that have had formatting (used
for reading and editing) stripped ...  he is using a interim version of pegasus
(major re-write to bring into the world of commercial standards ... that i am
evaluating) that is supposed to strip out RTF (HTML isn't included yet ...) as
default... and it seems to be doing so about 80% of time (up from 0% in last
release).

did a re-install to clear another problem, so perhaps it will be fixed for a while
.... once i can find a converter to move my email archives to a standard format
it's bye-bye pegasus, hello Outlook (much more stable so far)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves