ANST - Regional identity...

Dennis and Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Sun May 31 13:42:41 PDT 1998

Pug asked (and a very good question, I might add):
>  How does one do regional events so that the burden (financial and work)
>  is balanced between the groups so that all involved leave happy?

A few other folk have posted some good answers. Let me add a rough outline
of how we handled the finances for Uprising in the Barony of 1000 Eyes in
the Principality of Artemisia. (Just as a side note for what it's worth,
Uprising started as a locally developed shindig and slowly became viewed as
a regional/Principality event over time.)

To keep things simple, 1000 Eyes hosted the event and fronted the money.
After all expenses were covered, the profits were divided up
percentage-wise based on pre-determined parameters. Since 1000 Eyes fronted
the money and hosted the event, the lion's share of the profit went to the
Barony (usually somewhere around 50%). Since Uprising had become perceived
as a Principality event, a small percentage (we usually did 10% to 15%) was
donated directly to the Principality. I say *small* percentage, because it
left a larger percentage to act as incentive for folks to donate volunteer
hours--the more left over, the more each volunteer hour was worth. The
remainder we split up based on *volunteer hours*, not number of volunteers,
because it's the number of hours worked that really matters.  We also gave
volunteers the choice of where they wanted their volunteer hours applied;
they could apply their hours to their home group or to the Principality.
We required volunteers to sign in and sign out at the beginning and ending
of shifts so that we could keep accurate track of volunteer hours and
donation designation. We found this method to work really well on several
levels.

Note that none of this could be specified in law, because of Corpora.
Different groups had slightly different percentages they tended to use when
doing principality events, but the 'volunteer hours' based percentage
method worked pretty well for everyone across the board.

I think that if we're allowed to maintain a banking account for the region,
we should go ahead and get one started so as to start building coffers for
later projects.

Aquilanne