RN- Re: ANST - Re: BG - Tourney d'Amore

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Mon Nov 9 10:20:14 PST 1998

As I was one of the two folks who were involved in getting the tourney rolling on
the day of the event, I can probably shed additional light on what strange things
happened involving the barrier and our rapier tourneys.

Nothing.

We had never planned on fighting a barrier battle.  The format for this tourney
was set months in advance, and the names chosen for the champions reflected this.
On teh day of the event, someone came up to Baroness Jehanne and suggested that it
would be fun to change one of our small tourneys to a barrier battle.  Before our
rapier bouts began, she brought it up to all of the fighters present.  This in
itself was a very kind, considerate thing for her to do-  considering changing
your tourney's format because one person who was not even in on the initial
planning, requested it.  In response to her question, nobody seemed to strongly
desire the change...but several of the most experienced fighters didn't want to
play the barrier.

The objections were at least partially a safety issue.  The barrier was set up for
the armored fighters adn had been bashed by them all day.  There was exposed edge
of much-abused plywood at its top; it could have given some very large splinters
and cuts if thrusting arms were to contact and scrape across it.  Also, it was
held up by 2X4s that sprouted perpendicular along its length, which might have
been hard on some of my brethren who fight in court shoes or boots without the
ankle support.  Also...as Baroness Kayleigh noted below, rapier over a barrier
ISN'T really period for rapier combat...or at least isn't the way that rapier
fighters best show off their skill and bravado.  As this was something of an
accurate, high persona event, Jehanne (wisely) chose to maintain our original
formats, with an eventual slight modification from second to first blood, because
of impending darkness.

Overall...I believe that Baroness Jehanne and Tempio went far beyond what was
necessary to try to accomodate their guests, in even considering changing the
tourney formats.  I simply don't believe that would have been fair to change on
the fly from a tourney format that is enjoyed, desired, and expected by most, to
another type that some of the participants specifically were not expecting and did
NOT want...just because one person suggested it.

Ly. Isobel Hadleigh
Cadet to Don Kazimir
Bjornsborg, Ansteorra