ANST - Combat archers

DAFPIG at aol.com DAFPIG at aol.com
Wed Nov 11 12:26:53 PST 1998

 Don Dore' Wrote:
<<
 So, do I have a better idea? Yes, what Gunther suggests works. I
 have seen Trimeris use it to great advantage in the past, though
 not so much last year. Trimeris created hunter units with just one
 archer, a couple of spears, some shields and a great sword or two.
 I would suggest there be 3 or 4 archers in that group and, perhaps,
 drop the greatswords. That gives a squad total of 10 to 12.
 Alternately, you could have very small squads with half that.>>>

Yes, I fully agree with this statment!!  I have found that I'm MUCH more
effective if I run with a small, exprerinced group of fighters.  I can dodge
in and out of my fighters looking for the best shots, lot's of time, I can go
unnoticed for a while.
 If pressed, I have someone to run to :) .   I've noticed that putting new or
inexperinced fighters with the archers is of little help.  Usually these
fighters are quickly taken out and the archers are left with no support.  We
need experince here. However,I don't like running with other archers.  No
matter how much more effective everyone tells me I would be, I just don't like
timing my shots to someone elses. Some archers work very well together, some
don't.

 <<<<<I will go one step further and say that the place to have our archers
 is in amongst the troops. About where the pikes like to be. Talk
 about a target-rich environment! Standing back occasionally
 lobbing a shot into a melee is better than nothing, but not at all on
 a par with the kind of destruction you can do to the enemy or the
 level of support you can provide your own troops from up close.  >>>>

Oh my favorite tatic is to "hide" behind the front line.  Archers are most
effective when we are used as 30ft spears, in my opinion of course..... close
range but far enough out to help our shield wall.  we just don't have the
correct arrow type to be effective at long ranges.  Heck, my arrows start to
"drop" 15ft out of my bow.  The only time I tend to "lob" shots from the back
field is when I either lose my support team or our side is really
losing/winning.

Octavia

 == >>