ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

Azrael Azrael at cyber-wizard.com
Tue Nov 24 10:00:10 PST 1998

I consider myself a middle of the road fighter here, and as such I do my
best service to my Kingdom with my bow in my hand at war.
I have no problem with being hit if I am on the field, however MOST fighters
see that I am not capable of striking them with my bow in my hand, and will
do the honorable thing by touch killing me or allowing me to yield. Once I
throw my bow down and pick up my secondary weapon, then I am a combatant
just like everyone else. And fair game.

 Would you strike a man on the list field who had dropped his sword and
shield?...or any other helpless opponent?....I really dont think winning is
worth my honor....and striking a helpless opponent should be beneath us all.
HE Octavia has killed me more than once from a distance.. as has Talen, and
many other archers. But this does not change the way I view the combat..If
by good luck I happen to run one of them down.. they will still get the same
courtesy and respect, that any other heavy fighter on the field would...if
you are incapable of striking me, then I WILL NOT strike you..plain and
simple.

Revenge is not the game we play.."well he shot me, so I'm going to hit him
if I can" How does that increase your Honor? How does it make you a better
fighter to run down an archer, and instead of declaring him dead, hitting
him...just to make yourself feel better? I think more of my Kingdoms
fighters than that.

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with
virtuous intentions. Mercenaries may be excellent soldiers, but an action
that may be praised in soldier may be blamed in a knight. For the Soldier
the goal is victory; For the knight, since he is ready to go if necessary to
certain destruction, the goal is honor." Pomponio Torelli ,1596

Ashril Khebte'ut Khan
Azrael at cyber-wizard.com