ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

Azrael Azrael at cyber-wizard.com
Tue Nov 24 10:22:01 PST 1998

 While I am on my soap box......why not have the same discussion about siege
engineers?...why should they be non combatants since most of them can't
fight back? If all that you are worried about is getting even with someone
who shot you..then siege engineers are even easier pickings than archers.
Hell they usually dont run very fast.. and are more or less rooted to one
spot..who could ask for more?

We all can.

  When you walk out on to the list field, and the marshall says "For
Chivalry and Honor, Lay On" how many of you are listening? Or have you heard
it so many times that it just doesnt register anymore? Archers and Combat
Engineers are not a sub class of the Fighters of Ansteorra, they are your
sword brothers. It does not matter in my mind what weapon they choose to
engage me with, they are still worthy of my respect.

At Gothic War this year I saw one of our greatest Knights killed in the
bridge battle by a ballista bolt to the groin. He did not become angry and
try his best in the next battle to "get even" with the siege engineer that
shot him. Instead he praised the man who shot him for his accuracy and
prowness with his chosen weapon.

We should all learn from this.

Ill get off my soapbox now and go back into lurk mode, just couldnt let this
one go folks. ;-)

"A soldier uses arms merely with skill, whereas a knight uses them with
virtuous intentions. Mercenaries may be excellent soldiers, but an action
that may be praised in soldier may be blamed in a knight. For the Soldier
the goal is victory; For the knight, since he is ready to go if necessary to
certain destruction, the goal is honor." Pomponio Torelli ,1596

Ashril Khebte'ut Khan
Azrael at cyber-wizard.com