ANST - rhino's & battle haze - red, not purple ... was: To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Tue Nov 24 16:49:46 PST 1998

On 24 Nov 98, at 17:30, Azrael wrote:

> That my friend is what I REALLY hate about Rhinos!! If I hit the fighter
> next to you with a good shot and he doesnt call it..then I can and will
> crank it up.

but is this the correct response to the situation?  instead of re-calibrating
yourself up to a rhino's level, wouldn't a better and more chivalric response
be to simply back away from the rhino, refuse further combat, and make a
clear statement about the situation with your actions?

the only reason that "rhino's" exist is that they are allowed to make
themselves into rhino's and their rhino-ness is perpetuated by forcing
opponents to play at their level ... they can't exist if they are not tolerated.

last time i checked there was nothing negative about refusing combat with
anyone for any reason, especially when you feel that safety is at issue.
and most that i know whould have a much higher respect from someone
who backed down from such a contest than allowing themselves to be
"elevated" to their opponents level of game.

> ... The point to this is that you... total innocent and willing to
> acknowledge a standard killing blow, are not going to get the
> benifit of the doubt. I will more than likely hit you just as hard
> as I HAD to hit him, just because its very hard to come back down
> once you have gotten jacked up that far.

when you find yourself being "jacked up" to this level are you really
competing at a safe level for yourself and the others on the field?  would not
the prudent thing be to remove yourself from the contest until you regain
control of yourself?  who is or should be in control in this situation, you or
your opponent?

my origional combat teachers way-back-when stressed repeatedly that it is
vitally important for a person to know their limits, their reaction points, and
when it's time to call a personal hold on yourself and back away ... for your
good and the safety of your opponents.

it's ultimately about the contest and not necessarily about the outcome.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves