ANST - Gulf War update

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Nov 25 07:46:37 PST 1998

On 25 Nov 98, at 8:17, Tim Lozos wrote:

> While I dont have a problem with the "helm is proof" convention, I think
> it might actually add to the problems of excessive spear shots. Last year,
> I (and many other people I talked with) saw people turning their heads to
> take a spear shot on the ear instead of the face.........and then saying
> it didnt count.

hmmm ... but in armoured combat isn't turning armour into a incoming blow
to cover a unarmoured area a acceptable defensive / survival tactic (not to
mention natural)  how many are going to calmly let a spear/arrow that they
see coming enter a open faced helm - in game or reality?  how many of
those "turns" were deliberate and hjow many a natural reaction (personally i
see *anything* coming at my face i move my head or turn away from the
incoming blow (as i was taught in scadian combat ground and on the aikido
dojo mats)

seems like the issue is not people defending themselves in a reasonable,
prudent, and historically correct manner ... but overly agressive spearmean
who are the only ones responsible for the force of their attacks.  placing the
blame for their actions on their targets seems like a incorrect address to
the perceived problem.

'wolf
... my perceptions and opinions, your mileage may vary