ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Sun Nov 29 21:26:55 PST 1998

On 23 Nov 98,, DAFPIG at aol.com wrote:

> On the subject of wether or not we should be a full combat or touch kill
> group.
>
>  My personal opinion is, If we can hit them, they should be able to hit
>  us.
>
> In the 8 years I've been doing this, I have never been hit very hard,  The
> only "hard" shots I was given were well in the confines of an "easy' shot
> and were givin in the helm.

This was not my point in the first place. I made it very clear that I
was not concerned with ME being hit, just my equipment.

> Most fighters will just touch you even during a "full" contact
> game.  They tend to like the fact that archers can be killed the
> same way as they can be.  Kinda evens it out alittle for them. It
> is very fustrating for the fighter to be hit, over and over again
> by a most time, unseen arrow, Then not to be able to be able to
> throw a blow at the offending archer.

I really doubt this evens much of anything out. Some of the folks on
this list have certainly expressed frustrations in spite of this rule.
The frustration comes from the simple fact that an archer with
limited experience is still more deadly then any swordsman or
polearm on the field. That is the nature of the weapon.

> We have to be aware that WE are responsible for our toys, If you become
> worried that our bows will be struck...yeild!. If you don't, your taking
> the same risk as everyone else..an accidental blow.  Again in all the
> years I've played, My bow has never been hit.

You have a point here. I suppose I remember earlier days of
combat archery in Ansteorra when it was not uncommon for
fighters to actively seek to damage or destroy our equipment.
Thankfully, those days are past and the "stompers"are now few
and far between. What's more, our new Baldar headed, glass
shafted arrows and fiberglass bows are pretty hard to break.

BTW, a crossbow is a lot easier to get out of the way than a
longbow.

I suppose your attitude toward touch is not unlike mine toward
white diamonds. I understand why we have let it happen, but I
think it leads to a false sense of security for them as being hit is
ALWAYS a possibility when one is on the melee field.

Doré