ANST - yurts..

eric mauer eric.mauer-next at attws.com
Mon Nov 9 10:19:03 PST 1998

'wolf writes (on the subject of ger construction)

>>>was thinking, instead of making all lathes the same size ... mix heavier
(for main structural support) with lighter (wall support).  opinions?<<<<

Since the support of the yurt is based on interlacing the
lathe, effectively all the lathes are main structural
support. The one concern I have with the "plastic wood" is
rigidity-I suspect that thin lathes would tend to deform.
Since only half of the top connections support roof beams
on mast of the mobile designs, it might help to make those
sections thicker. An interesting experiment. I've seen them
made (and work) out of willow poles, pine lath, aluminum,
and fiberglass. Let me know how this works out.

washers ??? ... one washer between the lathes...

I use either 1/4" bolts or #10 machine screws with either 2
or 3 washers (The third between the sections helps with
pivoting, but is a pain when lacing). I secure the screws
with Loctite, although others have used Plasti-nuts.
Since I use wood lathe, which needs to be replaced occasionally, pop-rivits
would be a pain. If your material
is more durable, they'd be ideal.

TuhTahl