ANST - Combat archers

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Wed Nov 11 19:42:38 PST 1998

On 11 Nov 98,, Merrik Viltar Har wrote:

> "And the engagement rule is now 15' for both bows and crossbows. This is
> the same rule as for Gulf Wars."
>
> So why 30' instead of 15'?

I did not mean we could ONLY strike from 10 yards. We can strike
from a variety of ranges, both closer and further away. Ten yards,
however, is just about ideal. It is far enough away that I can shoot,
then run if closed upon, I am well out of reach of a spear. At 15 feet
I am just 2 large steps and a long thrust away or, if we are using
the dead at 10 feet rule, I am just 2 steps from dead. I greatly
prefer touch kill for archers as I don't mind if I get bopped once in a
while and I can't tell how far 10 feet is.

At 30 feet I am still close enough that the target has little time to
cover and I am less likely to miss. For me 7 to 10 yards is a great
range.

Doré