ANST - Bored at Crown or Any Other Event

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Sat Nov 21 11:05:54 PST 1998

> Paraphrased, because I can't remember who the poster was.
> I don't remember her saying she was bored at events. Maybe I
missed
> that one. She was merely asking do we have other activities at
crown
> tourney. Well, in case she's still here, no, not unless you count
peer
> circles or officer meetings sometimes.

Britta, I find that I must disagree with you on at least this
specific.

Crown Tourneys (and Coronations) generally attract some of the
finer merchants in the Kingdom.

Most Crown Tourneys I have attended have deliberately
scheduled additional activities to overcome just what
you have noted. (A great deal of variation does exist,
and much can be associated with the relative experience
of the local group's membership & willingness of others
to ad lib sideshow attractions...)

At the risk of being roundly thrashed from several quarters,
I'd like to seriously suggest that at least some of the events
that have been separate from Crown Tourney be reconsidered
for inclusion in that weekend.

Possibilities / Random Suggestions:
Shoot for Royal Siege Engineer on Sunday morning, perhaps?
Target archery throughout (a "true" Royal Round)?
"Formal" Page School (7-12 year olds)?
King's Champion tournament on Sunday morning?
Non-officeholder classes on advanced topics in the A&S arena?

Amra, Instigator

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (Steppes, Ansteorra)
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com