ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 23 12:32:16 PST 1998

>  My personal opinion is, If we can hit them, they should be able to hit us.
>
> In the 8 years I've been doing this, I have never been hit very hard,  The
> only "hard" shots I was given were well in the confines of an "easy' shot and
> were givin in the helm.  Most fighters will just touch you even during a
> "full" contact game.

<Some real good stuff snipped>

> We have enough rules in our game as it is,  I beleive that it is not more
> rules we need but to teach new (and Old) fighters and archers, how to play on
> the meele field that has combat archery.
>
> Octavia
> An Ansteorra Heavy Fighter first,
> Combat archer by chance

Thank you, Your Excellancy. Your words are what I've heard from the armored
fighters who "hate" combat archers. The "Well they can bruise us but we can't
get them back." attitude and the consideration that archers are unchivalrous
has gotten bad in the past. I'm hoping to work with both combat archers and
armored fighters to make us more or a team that works together instead of an
"us" and "them". There is also the confusion with the fighters over "do I hit
this guy or is he going to die when I get near or do I just tap him or what?"
I can understand some who do not want to get hit or have their weapons in danger.
But I don't care for the touch-kill. I would like to have the archers either have
large white diamonds or be willing to take the lumps. As you noted above, usually
the fighter who catches an archer is willing to just give a tap if the archer
requests it. We are all still friends out there.

Also, a note to the combat archers, consider what you have to be a 30 foot spear.
That means the rules apply to you. I don't want to see fighters deliberately shot
in the back. Nailing them in the body or face when they are engaged or zapping
somebody who doesn't notice you is okay. But moving around so you can hit them
in the back from 30 feet could risk expulsion. They can't hit you in the back
so please have the same courtesy.

Anyway, Octavia thank you for putting things much better than I could.

Let's get some training going and make the archers a real force to be reckoned
with!

Yours,

Gunthar
Princeps