ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Mon Nov 23 15:54:52 PST 1998

If my arrows bruise (I shoot nothing but fiberglass shafts with UHMW heads,
about 50% heaver that wood Ansteorran War Arrows) I have yet to have a
fighter show me the bruise, it would be a supprise.

>Thank you, Your Excellancy. Your words are what I've heard from the armored
>fighters who "hate" combat archers. The "Well they can bruise us but we can't
>get them back." attitude and the consideration that archers are unchivalrous
>has gotten bad in the past. I'm hoping to work with both combat archers and
>armored fighters to make us more or a team that works together instead of an
>"us" and "them". There is also the confusion with the fighters over "do I hit
>this guy or is he going to die when I get near or do I just tap him or what?"
>I can understand some who do not want to get hit or have their weapons in
danger.

Don't like touch-kill either am willing to be hit but like it when they
don't hit and ask me to yield.

>But I don't care for the touch-kill. I would like to have the archers
either have
>large white diamonds or be willing to take the lumps. As you noted above,
usually
>the fighter who catches an archer is willing to just give a tap if the archer
>requests it. We are all still friends out there.
>
>Also, a note to the combat archers, consider what you have to be a 30 foot
spear.
>That means the rules apply to you. I don't want to see fighters
deliberately shot
>in the back. Nailing them in the body or face when they are engaged or zapping
>somebody who doesn't notice you is okay. But moving around so you can hit them
>in the back from 30 feet could risk expulsion. They can't hit you in the back
>so please have the same courtesy.

I could not get away with breaking their sword so they should not break my
arrows. Had one broken at Three Kings and one stomped on at Fall Melees. If
I had been thinking about what I was seeing I would have shot the fighter in
the back as he walked off to give him his second death but probly just as
well I didn't.