ANST - To hit or not to hit Combat Archers

Baronman at aol.com Baronman at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 08:52:25 PST 1998

In a message dated 98-11-23 18:59:26 EST, Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in
Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra  writes:

>If my arrows bruise (I shoot nothing but fiberglass shafts with UHMW heads,
>about 50% heaver that wood Ansteorran War Arrows) I have yet to have a
>fighter show me the bruise, it would be a supprise.

My Lord-
After getting hit on the unarmored upper arm with an arrow of Octavia's at
Melees, I have been experiencing a most noble progression of colors. Saturday
night or early Sunday morning (after I got home and showered) my wife
proceeded to humiliate me by pointing out all of the hits I took at Melees and
commenting on my age and ability as a fighter.
One particular comment she made was that the points of Ansteorran spears must
be getting very small to produce the 1 and !/2 inch welt on my arm. I informed
her I was hit by an arrow, and all she could do was snicker for she knows my
attitude toward archers.
By Sunday night the welt had subsided, but left in its place a nice purple
area all around where the the welt had been, leaving the center area a slight
blush of red. By Monday night the purple had extended almost 3/4 of the way
around my arm.  Now I am not a bleeder and don't bruise easily, but Octavia's
arrow hurt like hell when it hit.  The marshal who saw the hit said everthing
was kosher as far as range and poundage of the bow ( I complained that the
arrow felt like as hit from a sword and that I have never had a an arrow hit
that hard before, to the Marshal ). So- arrows do bruise the body especially
in un-armored area. Which brings me to my next point.
 After getting hit with Octavia's arrow, I was mad. Mad not about getting hit,
but mad  that I was unable to do anything to get back at the archer. Now ,
thinking back, I wonder if Octavia was magically transported to within sword
range of me, right after she hit me, if I would simply and honorably inform
her that she was dead by a simple touch of the sword or if I would blast her
as hard as I could, and send her and her bow into the next life. I know that
even with the my feelings of pain and the impotance of revenge, I would still
do the honorable thing and tell the archer " My Lord, you are dead!" I can
truthfully say, that in the twelve years I have been fighting in this Kingdom,
I have never seen an archer blasted on the field by any Ansterroan fighter.

Baron Bors of Lothian
Baron Loch Soillier
Proud papa to the newest Laurel in the Kingdom.
Humble squire to Sir Rurik.

Homine insulso et ad
docendum minus idoneo.