ANST - Big fish/small ponds, classes, and disgusted newcomers

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu Oct 22 16:35:32 PDT 1998

Casey&Coni wrote:

> Regarding potential paperwork where screening classes is concerned, this
> thought crossed my mind:
>
> Rather than have some complicated system where we essentially create another
> office (the instructor general) how about simply posting a standard whereby
> anyone who intends to give a class is required to give it to at least
> three(or another arbitrary number... no more than 5) peers- the variety
> pertaining to the subject matter: laurels for arts classes, pelicans for
> service issue classes, and knights for fighting issues.  The officiality of
> this business could range from something as strict as a form with the name
> of the course and the signatures of the authorizing peers to an honor system
> that simply takes it for granted that you would follow these guidelines.  I
> think that would certainly guarantee at the very least a good deal more
> preparation for classes than we see on average at the events in our
> kingdom... and at best would weed out those classes that find us generally
> wondering if the 'instructor' perhaps was inspired by Army of Darkness(a
> finer film has never been made, I tell you) and documented using a Disney
> coloring book.

ACK!  I really don't think we need a review committe for people teaching
classes. I think the students will be able to figure it out for themselves.
Instead, I recommend people fill out evaluation forms after they attend a class.
this way, we can see if a pattern emerges without making members of the peerage
review and approve classes. I think members of the populace can do that well
enough.

Meadhbh

> I tell you all that we could learn a good deal from Calontirs 'Rush' program
> at Lillies... they screen all their instructors and have achieved, in my
> opinion, a near zero dud-rate.
>
> Dieterich

ÿWPCT