ANST - Newcomers and Paperwork

Wes Williams wesw at cyberramp.net
Thu Oct 22 18:57:36 PDT 1998

The paperwork conversation is interesting.

As a rule, whenever an organization spends more than half of its time or
resources just maintaining its existence rather than the purpose for which
it was formed, I bail. Those are the organizations to leave.

The SCA isn't that bad yet, but some parts of it are. My job (chronicler)
is nothing but paperwork, and it's nothing compared to the Exchequer's
office.

Some of this is necessary, of course, but I'm sure that the modern,
paperwork mindset has influenced the organization. And I'm also sure that
it not only turns off newcomers but has discouraged and driven-away some
who have played for years.

Thomas of Eynsham