Fw: ANST - Ranks and Why Shortcuts Are a Bad Idea

ulrica ulrica at lx.net
Tue Oct 27 15:30:25 PST 1998

Gunnora said.
"...The concensus of the Laurels across the Known World is that when we are
so lucky to get one of these highly talented folks as a newcomer, that we
should (as a Circle) mentor
the person - someone needs to take the time to explain to them what the
awards system is all about, and why they aren't going to instantly be a
peer..."

Okay...I do agree with you to a point, but I have to stand up for the rest,
too.  As a Regional Hospitaler, it has been my contention that ALL newcomers
should be mentored.  Part of the job of a Hospitaler is to make those new
folks feel comfortable and to match them up with people pursuing the same
interests.  This allows the newcomer to begin to feel an ownership within
the organization.  Without ownership, you get what I am so concerned
about...players who feel no sense of responsibility to the infrastructure of
the organization and who never feel that they need to work the gate, wash
the dishes, take an office...in short, players who may never be mature to be
Peers if we do not teach them from the beginning.

Gunnora also said:
"The other point to consider about any peerage (and I think the Laurellate
in especial) is that it is *not* exactly a rank, it is a job, and a damned
time-consuming one at that.  As peers, we are called upon to provide
prizes, act as judges, serve as teachers.  We do not get paid for these
duties, and often don't get thanked.  It is our job, and we do it.  This is
not something you want to land on a relative new-comer no matter how
talented -- they need time enough in the Society to know what they are
getting into!"

This is very true.  Peerage is not the end of the road by all means.  It is
the beginning.  However, I know that most often the Peers are asked to do so
much without ever getting a thank you because it it now "Expected" of them.
I strongly feel that you have to be in the organization and active for
awhile before being a Peer.  I'm not saying that you gotta do your time, but
them maybe I am.  I think you have to spend time with your group, working,
participating, learning...before you can handle the political pressure which
often accompanies Peerage.

Oh well, just my two cents.

Ulrica who REALLY wishes it would snow in Blacklake this century