ANST - Running a tavern

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Sep 1 11:12:31 PDT 1998

Kopernik said something that sounded like:
> I have been asked what it takes to run a tavern and sell alcohol at
> permitted sites in Texas.
> Has anybody investigated this?

I've done some investigations in this and am working towards more
in depth answers.

To *sell* alcohol requires a license and/or a permit.

To *give* it away is a different matter that gets into some very grey
areas. (Look at Fraternities that charge admission but provide free
beer.) If you are talking about home brewed beverages, this is still
unknown.

To obtain these licenses and permits you have to contact the TABC at:

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission
5806 Mesa Dr.
Austin, TX 78731
(512) 458-2500
FAX: (512) 206-3274
mailing address:
P.O. Box 13127, Capitol Station
Austin, TX 78711

As well, you can read more about the Texas Statuates governing this at:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/abtoc.html

These statutes include such things as the license and permit fees.

Btw, topics such as this will be discussed during a Brewers' Roundtable
which will be held at Laurels' Prize Tourney on November 7th.

Cc'ed to the poster (whom I don't think is a member of the list) and the
Brewing, Vintning and Cordialing list.

In Service,