ANST - Stargate Steak Feast

Russell russmax at cowboy.net
Mon Sep 7 21:01:55 PDT 1998

Gunnora Hallakarva wrote:
> Y'know, I can't sit here and let this go completely by without comment.  My
> duty as a Laurel and all that.
>
> While steaks may be good food and appealing to many, they are not a
> particularly medieval cuisine.  It is really no more difficult to prepare
> good, plentiful, tasty medieval dishes than it is to prepare modern foods.

It does make one wonder when the practice of cutting the loin of a steer into
slices an inch or so thick, placing them on a grill over an open flame, came
into being. Certainly the eating of beef is period. Is a good haunch of prime
rib not period? Ostentatious, perhaps, but period, I would think.

If it's not period, I would love to know why not. For every-day use, it might
be difficult to have fresh beef, but for a feast, one would likely just
slaughter the steer. How would one cook a steer in period? Surely one they had
more imagination than to just skewer the carcass on a spit and rotate slowly
until done. And who were those Beefeaters know made famous on bottles of gin?

Lord Guillaume