ANST - Stargate Steak Feast

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Mon Sep 7 23:49:45 PDT 1998

On 7 Sep 98, at 23:01, Russell wrote:

> While steaks may be good food and appealing to many, they are not a
> particularly medieval cuisine.  It is really no more difficult to
> prepare good, plentiful, tasty medieval dishes than it is to prepare
> modern foods.

modern foods ???? ... not really

let's see, the keltoi were infamous cattle-lords and consuming of large
quantities of dead & seared animal is mentioned from their earliest epics
(though they would take pork over beef when available ... ) .. and since it's
also a modern thing, so i would bet that since the medieval period was in
between, it existed then as well.

point to remember, cattle were often worth too much to eat regularly unless
you were *very* wealthy ... in northern, less than fertile climes, they would
not be as plentiful as in cultures such as ours that developed them as a
"factory" food (raised in mass quantities, in a environment that could be
turned to their production)

so, that in mind, steaks (aka slabs of dead beef warmed over a fire ...)
would have been a mark of the aristocracy and warrior elites ...

i've been to *many* feasts, and to be quite honest, i would much rather
have a decent steak than some of the culinary disasters that i've sampled
(everyone praises the successful feasts, but what about the infamous
disasters (g)

'wolf

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves