ANST - Stargate Steak Feast

Tue Sep 8 07:09:24 PDT 1998

> While steaks may be good food and appealing to many, they are not a
> particularly medieval cuisine.  It is really no more difficult to prepare
> good, plentiful, tasty medieval dishes than it is to prepare modern foods.

	<deleted>
> There should be no reason to not strive for more authenticity for next
> year's feasts -- so start mulling the idea over.  There is so much talent
> available in the Greater Stargate Area, I'd like, for one, to see you all
> showcase some of your local talent and show us the best you can achieve.
>
> Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)
>
> ::GUNNORA::
>
> Gunnora Hallakarva
> Herskerinde

A worthy sentiment, but I wouldn't focus on the steak in the question of
authenticity.  The green beans are New World in origin and probably not used
in period.  The frozen sweet could be Ancient Roman or totally out of
period.  I don't recall any reference to frozen desserts in period.  The
grilled shrimp in conjunction with steak is of questionable authenticity.

If you are willing to go with a very late German feast, very, very late 16th
Century, I can make a case for steak and potatoes, although very unlike
modern American fare.

Bear