ANST - Teaching (was Steak Feast, Missing Events)

knotwork at juno.com knotwork at juno.com
Thu Sep 10 21:18:42 PDT 1998

This is a general observation, prompted as much by some things I have
seen recently in the mundane world as well as in the SCA, so please don't
ANYONE consider this a personal blast.

I have had the opportunity to observe in a university setting for quite a
few years, and I have noticed some changes recently.  Time was, an
education was a reciprocal agreement between the teacher and the
students.  Students gave their time and a willingness to learn, and good
teachers not only imparted wisdom and knowledge but also encouraged the
students to learn _how_ to learn.

The law of entropy basically says that all systems are in the process of
breaking down, and energy must be put into the system to keep it
functioning.  Therefore, somebody has to put more into it than they get
out of it, or the whole mess will become a pile of hammered crap.

As victims of the "me" generation, creeping corporatism, and consumerism,
many students no longer have a teachable attitude.  They are "paying good
money" for a college degree that will get them a good-paying job.  They
want their education spoon-fed, and they couldn't care less about the
system, traditions, or values that go into making competent
professionals,  much less the effort and personal sacrifice required to
achieve excellence.  And Mommy and Daddy aren't paying for grades below a
"B" either, so poor grades are the teacher's fault, too.  Facts are
annoying, correction is criticism, responsibility is an outdated concept,
and research is only for papers and a grade.  Some of these people are
becoming "teachers,"  and folks wonder why a copy of a copy of a copy is
not as sharp and effective as the real thing!

If Socrates were alive today, he would beg for the hemlock, drink it
down, and not waste his breath on this kind of "student."

This brings me (finally) to the SCA.  One of the reasons we are here is
to learn.  Most of us bring that teachable spirit with us.  We work,
cook, study, and learn with no thought of recompense but the sheer joy of
being part of a group of people who, as a whole, willingly trade their
valuable time for a hands-on learning experience.  This is refreshing.
This is part of what makes us different.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Gunnora Hallakarva _is_ a teacher, and this is the highest praise I can
give.  She freely shares from her vast storehouse of knowledge, hoping to
encourage those she instructs to further their studies independently.
She is not an egotist, and "proving her wrong"  would be welcomed as
evidence that she had done her job effectively by getting someone to dig
out some facts on their own.  I have watched her spend inordinate amounts
of time critiquing A&S entries, trying to find the good points and guide
the entrants to increasing their knowledge.  Sometimes I think she spends
more time judging than the entrant did on the project! :<)  She is a lady
of consummate grace and gentility, as well as of strong opinions.  Both
qualities are admirable.

I personally don't give a rat's rear who eats what at a feast, any more
than I care if Clinton inhaled or Monica swallowed.  It's not my job.
Gunnora, on the other hand, feels a responsibility as a Laurel to guide
us toward excellence.  I applaud her willingness to take the flack that
that effort entails.

Gunnora is fully capable of defending herself.  I am simply taking
advantage of this forum to express my gratitude for her generosity with
her time and talents.

Joanna Montgomery