ANST - Missing Events

James D. Logan/Jane Sitton-Logan hammer at brazosnet.com
Thu Sep 10 22:34:15 PDT 1998

Greetings from Madeleine de Lyndesaye, in rural Olney, TX, 40 mi south
of Brad Leah, and 100 mi northwest of my home barony, Elfsea, and the
canton of Dun an Locha Ruaidh.

I, too, sympathize with all those who have mundanity intrude into their
ability to pursue the dream!  I am one as well.

It seems that the fates are against me.  Anytime I get to playing good,
going to populace meetings, attending events, entering A&S projects, or
volunteering for something at an event, "the real world" jumps up and
knocks me down.  I have been playing off and on for seven years now, and
still haven't managed to play solidly for more than three or four months
at a stretch.  Either finances, health, or lack of transportation have
conspired to keep me home, dreaming, and reading about all the fun times
the rest of you are having.  I do my studies in herbs, costuming,
beekeeping, etc., and do a few more stitches of needlework (very slowly,
due to carpal tunnel probs.), but it just doesn't compare to being able
to enjoy the companionship at a feast, thrill at the valor and honor
seen at a tourney, or join the camaraderie of a bardic circle with a mug
of home brewed mead in my hand.

And since Laird Logan and I had to move suddenly from our home in Elfsea
to an area that is far removed from the SCA in more respects than
location, I have been giving considerable thought to the plight of
medieval people who were exiled for one reason or another.  I think on
various songs and poems detailing a woman's woe when her husband or son
goes off to war.  And despite the feelings I may have of isolation or of
being forgotten or left out of the fun, I know those emotions cannot
compare with the desolation felt by people who were conquered, pushed
off their land with no where to turn, or left with no recourse when a
loved one was unjustly imprisoned.

I have learned to look for happiness and joy in my daily life.  I truly
miss being able to see my friends and chase my "dream", but I keep part
of you and that dream with me in my everyday, "mundane" life.  I look
forward to being able to share a drink from the horn around a campfire
someday soon.  Until then, memories of the fun and friendships I've had
keep me going... "in the real world".

Amicalement,

Madeleine de Lyndesaye
mka Jane Sitton-Logan