ANST - Two 15th Century Receipts for Steak

Mike and Gail Young uther at lcc.net
Sun Sep 27 05:54:31 PDT 1998

At 12:50 AM 9/27/98 -0400, you wrote:

>For full text of both receipts, I refer the reader to Anderson, A FIFTEENTH
>CENTURY COOKRY BOKE (Charles Scribner's Sons, New York, 1962), at page 12,
>and Hieatt & Butler, PLEYN DELIT (First Edition, University of Toronto
>Press, 1976), items 73 and 72, respectively (with modern dedactions).  I
>know there is a later edition of the latter, but I don't have a copy, so
>the number may be different if you are looking in the Second Edition of
>PLEYN DELIT.

Thank you for posting...I have had this copy of PLEYN DELIT for 10 years
and never thought about that recipe when the stake discussion was going on
as I always thought about venison being the primary meat.  I looked it up
after your post and sure enough it says beef too.  Funny how you can look
at something so many time you don't really see it.

>Steak is the meat in the third course of my "Unbelieveably Period" feast,
>which includes devilled eggs, queso dip, fried chicken, macaroni and
>cheese, sweet potato pie, angelfood cake, and strawberry cheesecake.  All
>documented.

This sounds great!  I would love the documentation.  Could you tell me how
I can get a copy?
                                                ---= Morgan

trying to broaden my horizons instead of my hips,
gwyneth
Greywood in Ansteorra
(Lufkin TX)