ANST - Two 15th Century Receipts for Steak

Margo Lynn Hablutzel Hablutzel at compuserve.com
Mon Sep 28 05:07:49 PDT 1998

Madeleine de Lyndesaye asked:

        >> I would WALK to an event with a feast like that!  Please
        >> tell me you're going to be cooking this soon!

If I do, it will probably be in another Kingdom; Steppes seems pretty well
subscribed with people who want to do events.  Besides, it doesn't fit into
just any event, it helps if there's a fooles theme (12th Night, April
First).  I have an unfortunately tendency to fall into groups that are
heavy in cooks, so I have not been head cook on a feast in 4-5 years.

gwyneth said, in part:

        >> ... I always thought about venison being the primary meat.
        >> I looked it up after your post and sure enough it says beef too.

I always look for beef as I spent part of my early years on my family's
cattle ranch down south of here.  I tend to think of beef as meat, and the
rest (venison, bird, lamb) as secondary.

        >> This sounds great!  I would love the documentation.  Could
        >> you tell me how I can get a copy?

I'm collecting email addresses, and will try to put receipt and book into
one long file to mail to people.  I wasn't that organized when I first
designed the feast!  It was designed to cater to: (1) people who are afraid
of medieval food because they think it all has to be covered in sauce and
taste like soap (rosewater) or pie (canel etc.); (2) vegetarians; (3) a
certain Laurel of our group who insisted the only desserts are custards and
Digby's cakes, and no other dessert receipts exist; and (4) myself, as I
got heartily sick of feasts that all looked and tasted the same.

                                        ---= Morgan

           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
 8+%%%%%%%%I=================================================---
           |/   Morgan Cely Cain * Hablutzel at compuserve.com
                     Barony of the Steppes * Ansteorra
                          daytime: margolh at nt.com

CELEBRATE BANNED BOOKS WEEK!  September 26 - October 3, 1998

In 1997 the  Office for Intellectual Freedom (http://www.ala.org/bbooks)
tracked 595 challenges to books in schools, school libraries, and public
libraries. The most challenged books of 1997 include:
     1. "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou
     2. "It's Perfectly Normal" by Robbie Harris
     3. The "Goosebumps" series by R.L. Stine
     4. The "Alice" series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
     5. "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck
     6. "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain
     7. "The Giver" by Lois Lowry
     8. "A Day No Pigs Would Die" by Robert Newton Peck
     9. "Kaffir Boy" by Mark Mathabane
     10."Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson