ANST - to serve or not to serve...

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Sep 28 14:15:38 PDT 1998

> My basic concerned with buffet style isn't about feast enjoyment.

Actually that is my concern. Part of the SCA expirience is to try to have
the feel of a Medieval gathering. I hate it when I see Dukes standing in
line like a beggars at the door.

I think having a buffet really depends on the style of event and who is
planning on attending. At Black Oak Keep feasts we usually had buffets but
they were small events and everyone felt like family. Also those who sat at
High Table were individually served.

IMHO, if you are planning on an elegant gathering a feast should be served.
If it is to be a gathering or event based on low pomp and ceremony or if
the theme doesn't really support a served feast (one of the BOK themes was
a Bedouin feast) then the buffet would be acceptable.

> I prefer a served feast but I understan the problems of getting enough
> servers.

Been there, dealt with that.

> With buffets, however, I am more concerned about having enough
> food. I have been to many buffet style feasts where a number of the
> dishes ran out before many folks hade served themselves.

I agree but unsupervised buffets should only be for potlucks and all day
nosh spreads. A Cook should make sure there are at least a couple of servers
on the line to make sure portion control is maintained.

I look forward to dining with you again, dear lady.

> Clarissa

Yers,

Gunthar