ANST - Period Scams/Galileo

Lael Portwood rlportwood at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 16:51:04 PST 1999

In reading the title "Period Scams", I was reminded of a really interesting book
that I have that's all about scams throughout history.  It's called "Extraordinary
Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds."  It's written by Charles Mackay and
published by Harmony Books.  The back of the book reads:  "Every age has its
peculiar folly; some scheme, project, or phantasy into which it plunges, spurred
on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the mere force of
imitation," said author Charles Mackay.  It was true then in 1841, and it is
certainly true now.  This informative, funny collection of popular delusions, from
Alchemy to Mesmerism, has become a classic - a study of mass manias, crowd
behavior, and human folly.  The book encompasses a broad range of scams, manias,
and deceptions including witch burnings and the Great Crusades.  Here are the
human quirks that created the Mississippi Bubble and Tulipomania - when
speculators lost fortunes on a single tulip bulb.  Here are the follies and fads
that dictated fashion through the ages.

A good read!

Ascelyn