ANST - Second-Guessing

Paul Mitchell Paul_Mitchell at Filemaker.com
Wed Apr 28 07:24:00 PDT 1999

Baroness Gunnora Hallakarva recently said:

<a bunch of pretty reasonable stuff which I have
nonetheless snipped, because I'm not going to
reply point-by-point>

But Gunnora, when does it get _decided_?

If Ansteorra had a parliament (Lord, protect
us from such a thing), it would probably have
as its members the people who were at the
Red Tape event.  There was _outstanding_
representation there.

I'm not saying people don't have a right to
make their opinions heard.  What I _am_ saying
is that ever since it became so easy for them
to make their opinions heard, with the advent
of forums like the Ansteorra list, that's all
some people seem to do.  (Everybody knows, Gunnora,
that this shoe won't fit _you_, but we all also
know that there are some people it _does_ fit.)

(BTW, changes in the Laurels' Circle are all well
and good, and I heartily applaud the excellent
progress and innovations lately made by that
Order, but such changes don't get kicked around
here.)

I'm not saying there shouldn't be commentary,
and I'm not restricting myself to solely the
issue of a server.  And certainly, I've done
my share of second-guessing, tweaking, and outright
opposing of new ideas.  But doesn't there come a
time when a decision is _made_?  When an idea
_has_ _been_ approved?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but it was
my impression that the server idea was approved a
month ago, in a publically-announced open meeting,
by officers of the kingdom who had the authority
to make that decision, within the rules of our
kingdom and Society.

This list is _not_ the officially-sanctioned voice
of the people of Ansteorra, and doesn't necessarily
have to be consulted on ideas seperately from a
properly-constituted meeting of warranted officers
at an official SCA event.  Members of the populace
were welcome at that meeting, and were allowed to
make quite a bit of input on every topic.  In fact,
I'm pretty sure more people spoke out at that meeting
than have done on this list, on this one topic.

(And I believe there's another Red Tape Event being
scheduled in the next couple of months.  Concerned
folks take note.  Check your _Black Star_ for details.)

The Crown and officers consulted the populace on many
issues long before the Internet became widely available.
They are not constrained to post issues _here_.

Finally, to anyone who wants to reply beginning with
"So, you're saying we should..." and then accuse me
of calling for an end to the Ansteorra list, or rules
banning criticism in public, or any other rules, I'll
say right here that you're wrong, that's _not_ what
I'm saying.  I'll I'm asking is that people think
about what they're posting, and why.

speaking only for myself,
- Galen of Bristol

BTW, thanks for all the kind words, both public
and private, in reply to my last post.