ANST - an observation ...Second-Guessing

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Apr 28 09:02:34 PDT 1999

watching the flow ... an observation

i think the reason this matter has stirred up so much "interest" pro and con
here, is that it seemingly appeared to most people out of left field as a done
deal ... the SCA has a long history of making major decisions that many are
unaware of until after the fact, due mainly to the dispersed nature of the
group, use of old communication channels, varying levels of interest /
participation (for many varied reasons) ... folks, it's a new age with new
tools - time to evolove.

someone mentioned that the administration of ansteorra has no obligation to use
the ansteorran internet channels to inform the populace of plans, decisions, or
solicit input  ....  if they are truely dedicated to communication with those
they represet, then this mindset needs to be addressed, before the new
"project" goes any farther

if they had used the tools that already exist prior to making decisions in thsi
matter, it's probable the current chaos could have been minimized.  and if they
don't want to use it, or maintain no obligation to communicate / discuss, then
*why* spend SCA funds (banked or donated) on a internet level tool ("server")
???

i have seen this situation many times in the business world where the majority
of the lower echelons are net/computer-savy while the upper ones are not.  it
*always* creates a climate where information chaos rules and tech problems are
always solved by throwing hardware at problems without addressing the core
problems (in almost all cases leading to failure)

seems it would be a better use of our resources to modify the business model
(SCA management style) and general culture to make better use of existing
internet level resources *before* developing more advanced ones.  the phrase
"putting the cart before the horse" comes to mind in this situation.

if the oft repeated arguement that net use in the SCA is the minority, not
everyone can afford it, it's not "period", we're elitist / minority segments
... yada/yada/yada  ... then *why* develop advanced systems to support such a
minority position (grin).  if on the other hand it is an awareness of the
importance of the net for commication, why the opinion that our leaders are not
obligated to use it to communicate with those they represent???

point here, if such a "officially" sanctioned system is built, then it *must*
adopt a status with the traditional printed communication channels (Black Star)
as co-equal *official* information source, else there is zero reason for it to
exist. ... to be quite honest, i don't need more "dead tree" information
sources (newsletters) cluttering my house and would prever that mine be
electronic / online.  give us teh option ... problem is that most SCA
automatically relegate electronic format as second class (or lower) status.
this must change

as i mentioned prviously, these are primarily "business plan" issues that
should have been addressed long before hardware / software was talked about ...
and they should have been discussed with those that could contribute the most -
those who live / work in this online world.

more than a few new ideas to chew on ...

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves