ANST - service comment and information suggestion ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Apr 28 13:42:29 PDT 1999

On 28 Apr 99, at 12:25, Pug Bainter wrote:

> Everyone has the right to speak, but that does not mean that they have to
> be heeded.

might that mindset in some measure be a reason for the troublesome membership
loss rate in the SCA as a whole ???? ... on common complaint i've heard from
many of those leaving was that they were tired of being ignored or dismissed
because they did not have title or hold office ...

> > here's a suggestion .. leave these channels as they are and create a
> > *official*, topical, moderated, kingdom level channel designed for
> > official business and information exchange. ...
>
> As I understood the word from Corporate, this could not happen. It will
> never be official since it will not reach the entirety of the SCA
> *membership*. The only way of doing that is through the official channels
> by USMailing.

did not mean as a replacement for snail, but as a equal and parallel delivery
system ... someothing more and more organizations similar to ours are being
forced to adopt in order to survive in the modern world.

> This does not mean that we can not have an announcement only list for the
> Kingdom *if* an appropriate Moderator and guidelines for it can be decided
> upon.

would be exceptionally useful if it were at least as complete as Black Star ...
would be more so, since the information could be spread faster more immediately
than the BS due to it's publication limitations.  one *big* plus of online,
publication is immediate.

woudl also council that if such a system were done, that online archives be
created and made accessable from day one (speaking as one tired of rooting
through "the box" of old SCA pub's looking for a certain piece i information
remember was there 3-4 months back that i need for today for some reason ...

> > personally, i would like to hear about these things before the fact when
> > i'm not able to travel accross the state to attend kingdom business
> > meetings or reading about in the black-star when it's alreadt dated
> > information.  people complain about other not getting invoilved in the
> > process ... give them reasonable tools to do so and maybe they will.
>
> Personally I'd love to see things in both places.

as would i ... much easier to find information online than waiting for the BS
(Black Star) or hunting through old general list materials ...such a seperate
channel would be a goddess-send ...

> The real problem is that when people post things to the 'net, they
> forget to put it in the BlackStar. Vice-versa is often true as well.
> This is a lack of planning and a bad assumption of "well everyone
> already knows it".

most times i glance at the BS the day it arrives and then the house "eats it"

perhaps a better merging of BS and online?  since BS is about information and
online is about information  ... seems the ideal location.  seems that if done
right, it would ease the BS producers development load and decrease the flack
they take about missing information ...

a Minister of Information perhaps to coordinate such things ????

> There will be a Note and Challenge, not not a half-page ad, in the
> BlackStar regarding this topic.

not at all a bad idea ....

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves