ANST - Insignia design

Casey&Coni weed at sage.net
Mon Apr 5 03:02:03 PDT 1999

As I was reading the topic originally titled Regalia/Insignia, "M's"
questions knocked a few gears loose:

 M. penned-

>1. What materials are generally used for making the
>regalia/insignia?
>2. What are the dimensions of the medallions and pins?

To which I might make a common plea to those who love to create insignia for
our Great King and Beautiful Queen to give as a sign of their words of
law...

Think about how attatched you are to the work you've done, great or small,
in thinking up a possible name and story to go with the person you pretend
at being on the weekends.  Think about the clothing you (or someone who
loves you) have made to suit that research.  Chances are most of you have
put your noses in sundry tomes to flesh out that wondrous hero/heroine.
Trips to the library, trips to the fabric store, threshing the fields of the
internet for morsels to make that presence more prepared.  I'll bet, all in
all, that even those people who claim to be alergic to the library have
spent enough time and energy in these endeavors to sit back and say, "Boy,
am I glad I took the time to learn that."

Now picture this: you're called into court to recieve an award- exciting as
that is *already*- and after the King and Queen speak 'the law' they turn to
you and give you... a piece of insignia that looks as though it was crafted
in the exact style and fashion you know to be common to your personna!  An
embroidered burgundian garter, a large amber norse trade bead, an elegant
elizabethan brooch, a byzantine soldiers sash, a roman hammered campaign
medal, a cast pewter or bronze pendant... but suited to *you*.

It's magical when you see it happen... ask to see Thorgaard Inn Svartis Lion
done on a block of stone.  It really was something to behold and I doubt
that there will ever be another done quite like his.

Now, along this same vein you can with very little extra effort  make
something for the insignia box that people can treasure as much for what it
is as for what it stands for.  Just take a little time, ask around, and find
out how period awards were worn.  How would *your* personna show that he had
been so favored by the king?  Is there anything he might have carried or
worn of great importance; a symbol of his position?  A badge?  A sash?  A
feather for his hat?  The Doge of Venice wore a specific hat to signify his
rank... if you knew, for instance that your italian friend were recieving a
court baroncy, perhaps you could mimic the style (or not... it's a bit silly
looking).  The orders of the Golden Fleece and the Knights of Malta were
signified with cast pendants.  The order of the Garter... well, you know
about that one.  Signet rings, tights, plumes, hat pins, boots, cloaks,
rods... all were used to represent some sort of rank, award, or other
importance sometime/place.

I'm not saying you need to do this or have to do this... just that you would
certainly add to someones special day if you did.  If you lack ideas for
this type of effort or think you couldn't possibly do it, drop Lady
Michelle, Lady Gala, or even me a line and I'm sure we could think up
something.

Dieterich- who wishes Centurian garters came in pairs to keep his hosen up;)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and  "mental illness". -Dave Barry