ANST - Re: RN- Leather question

Cad & Martha cadmartha at drbcom.com
Mon Apr 5 21:06:00 PDT 1999

Gail,
Using a medium soft bristle brush, dawn dish soap, mixed with water about
like you are going to wash greasy dishes, scrub your saddle.  Use the water
hose to rinse it.  When its clean and the mold is scrubbed off the surface,
mix some bleach water in a spray bottle (a couple of capfuls of bleach to a
quart of water).  Spray affected (moldy) areas.  Let dry; that should take
care of the mold.  When the saddle is completely dry, you will need to
restore the oil.  I recommend either pure Neat's Foot Oil or a Neat's Foot
Oil compound.  Apply the oil with a soft cloth and let soak in.  Depending
on how dry the saddle is, you may need to repeat this several times until
the leather is pliable.  When the oil is dry, if you want a glossier finish,
you may apply Saddle Lac, Tan Cote, or other leather finish.
Master Cadwallader
3rd generation saddler