ANST - Re: RN- Leather question

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Apr 6 07:58:42 PDT 1999

Isobel asked:
> My cadet brother gave me a saddle that I want to clean up for
> riding at the Squires and CAdets Invitational event.  It had been
> lying around for a number of years and is somewhat moldy,
> though the leather seems to be holding together under the mold.
> Oh, great leather god-like entities....what's the best way to
> restore a yucky saddle?

Were it me, I'd take it to a professional saddle shop and ask them for an estimate to clean,
recondition, and repair the saddle.  They will be able to spot damage that you're not used to
looking for - and that can save you and the horse a lot of pain.

If you do it yourself, first saddle soap the hell out of the saddle to remove the dirt and mold.
You may have to repeat this step a few times, depending on the amount of grime.  Then you'll need to
recondition the leather.  If the saddle has been badly abused, it may take more than neatsfoot oil
or similar products -- ask youlocal saddle shop what they have in stock and what they recommend.

Check all the stitching -- has it rotted?  If so replace it!  Check the straps for cracks and
weaknesses. If you can pull it apart in your hands, well, the horse is stronger than you are.
Chances are good that you should replace all the straps.

Check for flexibility in the places that must be flexible. If the leather is dry and rigid, it won't
flex, and you're going to have a saddle that's certainly uncomfortable for the horse, and possibly
for you as well.

Check the seat.  If the saddle is old, the seat padding will probably need to be completely
replaced.

Check the tree.  If it's a synthetic tree, chances are that it's unharmed.  If it's wood, check for
termites and dry rot.  If it's a composite tree, you may have rust, you may have rotted rawhide. If
the tree is damages, the saddle is likely not easily repairable.

Now here's the rub (literally!)  Saddles are usually chosen for size on on both sides of the saddle
-- it has to fit the horse (and no, one size does NOT fit all!) and it has to fit the rider (again,
one size does not fit all).  When the saddle is on the horse and you are on the saddle, there should
be some room (maybe two fingers' worth) under the tree above the horse's spine.  That saddle
absolutely should not be sitting directly on the horse at all points.  Are you certain that this
saddle is going to fit the horse you will be riding?  Consult with an experienced rider on how to
fit saddle to horse and vice versa.  I never purchased my own saddles - my parents were in charge of
that, so check with someone who is more expert -- Octavia??

If you're ever in the market for a saddle, my personal recommendation for new riders and experienced
riders alike is to get an Australian cavalry/police saddle.  Australian saddles have much deeper
seats (4 inches as opposed to about a 2" dip on a regular Western saddle) and they can be obtained
with or without the saddle horn.  The cavalry saddles have a variety of snaffles and tie-downs on
the saddle so you can easily attach trail gear or barding, they have a more medieval style seat with
the high front and back, and it's even possible to strap yourself into a cavalry saddle so that you
can't fall out (usually not done unless you're riding with others who will hopefully not lead your
horse under a low hanging branch and normally used today only by those trying to nap in the
saddle!)  I used an Australian saddle for barrel racing in my dissipated childhood, and I never came
out of that saddle (English saddles were a whole 'nother story!)

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Baroness Gunnora Hallakarva, OL

Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)