ANST - the information revolution ...

Joel Schumacher jschumac at jcpenney.com
Thu Apr 29 15:44:45 PDT 1999

Eric Mauer writes:
> Not to mention, it's a heck of a lot easier to pack the Blackstar in
> the car so you can find the event, rather then packing a laptop and a
> cellular modem <grin>

Had kind of the opposite experience.  Went to a nearby event, an hour
or so away.  I knew how to get to the town, so I drive there, then pull
out the Blackstar to find exact exits, directions, etc.  No Blackstar.
Forgot it at home.  Everyone who's phone number I knew was at the
event.  And anybody who might not be at the event, I don't know by their
non-SCA name.

What to do?  Spend an extra 2 hours driving home and back?

So I call up a non-SCA friend with internet access, guided him to the
www.ansteorra.org site and through the links, right to a web page that
had all the directions.

Much more preferable than trying to find an open gas station and say
"Have you seen any people dressed kinda funny and do you know where
they're all staying?"

Paper copies can be lost or forgotten.  Internet access points are
all over the world.