ANST - keltoi trivia ....

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Fri Apr 30 12:24:30 PDT 1999

scanning a new read while doing laundry today and came upon a couple of
interesting points ..

"... central european celtic wagons were superior to any other vehicles of
their period.  they were built on a tecnilogical level that was not surpassed
until medieval times ... celtic wheelwrights invented bearings that reduced
friction, so that less energy was needed to move chariots and wagons.  the
ultimate vehicles had rollar bearings, that later went out of use in roman
times, and were not used again until the industrial revolution"

.... that definitly interests me and would like to find out more about this
construction

and while way post-period ...

... speaking on contributions made by celtic peoples ..." ... the first
successful two-stroke internal combustion engine was made by the Scotsman Sir
Dugald Clerk (1854-1832) in 1878, from which came the first motorcycles."

the book is:

_The Sacred World of the Celts_
Nigel Pennick
ISBN: 0-89281-701-1 (available in paper and cloth)

the work is a bit "light" and general in nature, but with some nice pictures
... not one i would buy for self, though was a welcome gift.  dosn't delve in
depth on theh matters it covers, but does give some decent overviews.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves