ANST - Seals, Wax and Stamps, Oh My!

Dr Tiomoid of Angle tiomoid at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 07:36:01 PDT 1999

--- Ace <aslyn at onramp.net> wrote:

> >Well, ideally the seal would be attached from cords or ribbons laced
> >through the bottom edge, as was done in period, so it wouldn't be a
> >problem.

> Ummm.....yes, I am aware of that practice (even though that was not
> what I was allowed to do at the time), but one still must take even
> _that_ space into consideration when designing an _Award Document_.

Well, yeah, but how much talent does it take to leave an extra inch at
the bottom of the page?

> Custom framing is not always an option (i.e. time and money).

In period they just threw it in a chest in the family's muniment room
and it didn't see light of day again unless it was needed in court or
for an Inspeximus confirmation. (I guess that wouldn't work in the SCA,
huh....) Sealing "en plaquet", although more a Continental practice
than a British one, is certainly an authenticity option, but we need to
review as many facsimiles as possible to figure out the best way to do
it.

> >Hey, if it was easy, anybody could do it.... :-)
> >
> : D  That's one of the many reasons why I'm darn proud of Ansteorran
> calligraphers and scribes (we few.....we happy few).

Well, "overworked few", anyway....

> >When I was doing Rowan's Duchy scroll, I left such a space for the
> >seal -- even worked it into the design fairly well ... and then
> >spilled silver paint in it. And on the next one, too. I think the
> >first botched job was used as a demo piece for a number of years
> in the Steppes;
>
> <lol>  "Oh, joy" </lol>

"We few ... we happy few...."

> We did not do the seal on my piece because we were concerned that
> the wax would touch and\or smear on the frame.

Thin bead of FrayCheck around the perimeter, then peel it up afterward.

> So, we stamped it instead (which as I remember is of a much smaller
> diameter than the wax seal

So how did it look? Was the customer happy?

Fra Tadhg Liath OFT
The Grumpiest Pelican
SCITIS IMPLETI * NOSCE IGNOTIS