ANST - Awards

Trish McCurdy ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 4 08:28:50 PDT 1999

***I've always hated the surprise-party, Queen-for-a-Day impulse that
seems to permeat the awards process. Like a person who comes home to a
surprise birthday party when they had something else planned for that
evening, it puts people in an awkward position. I've always thought
that the notion, distressingly common in the SCA, that "getting good
pictures" justifies putting people on the spot that way is ratherjuvenile.
Fra Tadhg Liath OFTThe Grumpiest PelicanSCITIS IMPLETI * NOSCE IGNOTIS

I apologize if my explanation offended you, I would never wish to do so
under any circumstances.  I used that anaolgy because it was a brighter way
of illustrating that some people like suprises.  In my case, when I have
been caught by suprise, I usually cried, and I am not in the least
photogetic myself.

I have always had concerns about people leaving because they felt they
weren't recognized or cared for.  I myself, have been through a tremendous
amount of experiences in the SCA, things that I would never, ever, ever wish
on anyone else.  However, I made the decision a long time ago to either keep
my heart light, or retire myself to my gardening.

When I answered the original posts, all I have as we all do is my own
experiences to draw upon for my responses.  I grieve that I have upset you.
If you wish to talk about it more, perhaps we can do so at the retreat, and
we can come to understand how we each came to our own feelings through
experience on the subject?

Respectfully,

Larissa