ANST - Documentation (wordy)

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Tue Feb 16 13:24:48 PST 1999

Greetings, all:

Good grief, Charlie Brown! I am overwhelmed by both the number and vehemence of
the opinions voiced since I posted my comments. In fact, there have been SO MANY
admits to holding the subject near and dear to her heart), that I'd like to
revisit my original point (I'm pretty sure I had a point in there somewhere <grin>).

An artisan recently said to me something like:
> "I'm an artisan. I make things. I make them in a period style, using period
> methods as much as possible, and with as much craftsmanship as I can."

Just a quick aside: this person holds an Iris, mostly for "making things". The
judge, who was NOT a Laurel and didn't know the artisan personally, probably (in
my opinion) didn't know this.

> "Someone beat me out who had entered a simple, crude piece but had wonderful
> documentation. That person wasn't an artisan, they were a scholar. They had
> done the research and published it well, but they were no craftsman."

Another aside: this was the "scholar"'s first entry. The piece was of a very
simple design (didn't require advanced workmanship skills) but was well done
within those limits.

> "I thought this competition was to choose the best *artisan*, not the best
> *scholar*."

The competition was a "prize" tourney for a barony, i.e. not to choose the
barony's titled artisan, but just to encourage interest in the arts and provide
a competition "for fun". NO DOCUMENTATION WAS REQUIRED.

Q: So, what happened here?