ANST - Documentation (wordy)

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Wed Feb 17 12:54:58 PST 1999

Greetings, all (but this time most especially Master Petruccio),
from Baron Michael Silverhands:

"Patrick J. Cuccurello" (Master Petruccio) wrote:
> >if someone shows up with no documentation, hand them a
> >one-page form to fill out (the "A&S_EZ"? <g>), with places for the absolute
> >minimum information.
>
> You know, I really like this idea. ... it really does parallel
> what we try and do with attendees at events and the fighters.  Any time
> that we of the arts community can provide a solution to someone as opposed
> to a percieved barrier, I'm for it. ... it also puts us in direct contact with
> those people who probably most need direction.  It also does it in a
> non-confrontational or non-detrimental manner.

Well, one thing I hate worse than keeping my logical arguments short and to the
point <grin> is pointing out a problem without offering a solution.

When talking this over with friends during lunch, it was further suggested that
to be fair EVERY artisan should fill out the "A&S_EZ" form. This *guarantees*
that every artisan has met the minimum requirement, without the Master/Mistress
of the A&S List having to read the entire body of documention submitted with
each entry (to make sure it meets the minimum requirements).

If the artisan is relatively unprepared (in the way of documentation), they can
write something brief in the form, and they know they're covered. If they
artisan has come "loaded for bear", they can put an abstract of the
documentation in the form, and add something like: "see documentation, including
twenty-seven 8 x 10 colored glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a
paragraph on the back of each one explainin' what each one is (attached)".
Viewers of the display (including but *not* limited to the judges) won't *have*
to read through the dissertation to get the gist of the entry, if all they have
time for is one look at the short form beside each piece. Ta-daaaa! A level
playing field, and a process that teaches good (minimum) documentation while
making it easier for the judges be fair, and the non-judges to tour the exhibit.

> We also gain those valuable teaching points  that we need
> each year to keep our Laurel accredidations  <<<<grin>>>>
>
> Petruccio

Collect teaching points! Win valuable prizes! :-)

Michael