ANST - Tent Camouflage?

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Mon Feb 1 13:43:20 PST 1999

On 1 Feb 99, at 13:28, Lael Portwood wrote:

> What shape is it?  If it's not too big you can sew a large circle with an
> opening for your tent flap, throw it over the top, stake it down, and
> you're done.  When you have more time, paint the cover with period
> designs.  Another thing you can do is make large banners (quick and easy
> ones with large designs, few colors) and drape them all around your tent.

from a design discussion back down the road ... logic dictates a added
advantage ... if you add a air space open at base and top and held away from
the main tent, you create a insulating layer.  use of light color material
promotes reflection and blocks absorbtion.  essentially you create a passive
solar cooler and get a *much* more tolerable interior space in summer ...

secret is having the air space vent to a exit point located at the apex of the
structure for the heat that builds between the layers to escape and a lower
venting area for cooler air to be pulled in by convection.

query for the fabric workers ... anyone know of a tent-suitable fabric with a
reflective layer bonded to one side ... want to experiment with a "radiant
barrier" as a tent cover for summer at some point ... tent i have becomes a
furnace when used alone.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves