ANST - Queen's Champion

Suzanne Powell scpowell at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:02:56 PST 1999

Greetings to Thee, Good Gentles All from Lady Suzanne (feastocrat for
Queen's Champion)

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the people who helped so
much and made the Feast for this event such a success:

Rhodri ap Gwythr and Kaitlyn McKenna, Gillian Fitzsimmons and Iain
McTaggert, Roberto Gianni and the Widow Elspeth, Francois la Flamme,
Rose and Geof Cathan, Klare mette Katten, Ihon Vinson MacFergus, Caitlin
ban Gerald and Gerald of Leesville, Cateau d'Ardennes, Isobeau, Spider,
Chris, William Silk and Othar Morganson and his crew of servers.

These folks all did a wonderful job -- I can't thank them enough.

I have also had several requests from people for copies of the recipes I
used.  I would be glad to send a set to anyone who sends me their name
and address -- just send the information to me at scpowell at hotmail.com

For those of you who can't wait to get a set of recipes via snail mail,
here is the recipe for the Broth Saake with Dumplings:

(taken from A Thousand Eggs or More - p.109)
Serves 16

4 lbs poultry, cut in large chunks
2 cups wine, white
14 cups water
1 cup parsley, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. hyssop
1 tsp cloves, powdered
20 whole green peppercorns
     (a substitute for cubebs, which I could not find)
2 tsp. mace, powdered
16 tsp. chopped, pitted dates
2 tsp. cinnamon, powdered
2 tsp. ginger, powdered
1/2 tsp. saffron threads
8 chicken boullion cubes

Put poultry pieces, along with rest of ingredients, into a large
enamelled pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for
30 minutes or until poultry is cooked. Pick flesh from bones, discard
bones, add the flesh and the Spaetzle noodles (if desired). Serve hot.

** Good with pasta or rice.

Bruette saake. Take Capoun, skalde hem, smyte hem to gobettys, Waysshe
hem, do hem in a potte; thenne caste owt the potte, waysshe hem aghen on
the potte, & caste there-to half wyne half Brothe; take Percely, Isope,
Waysshe hem, & hew hem smal, & putte on the potte there the Fleysshe is;
caste there-to Clowys, quybibes, Maces, Dates ytallyd, hot Safroune; do
it over the fyre; take Canelle, Gyngere, tempere thin powages with wyne;
caste into the potte Salt there-to, hele it, & hwan it is y-now, serve
it forth. (Harlein MS. 279).

Spaetzle Noodles

(taken from Betty Crocker International Cookbook - p.262)
16 servings.

4 whole eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 quarts chicken stock
2 tbsp. butter, melted

Mix eggs, milk, flour, salt, and pepper (batter will be thick). Heat
chicken stock to boiling in Dutch oven. Press batter through colander
(preferably one with large holes), a few tablespoonsful at a time, into
the boiling stock. Stir once or twice to prevent sticking. Cook until
dumplings rise to the surface and are tender, about 5 minutes.